11.15.2009

Passsing the torch

I can't believe it's that time already. Hazel has to decide on a high school and she was debating on Notre Dame or Cardinal Newman. Two weeks ago Floree took Hazel to Newman (her alma mater) so it was fitting that I take her to Notre Dame. The first half of the open house was held in the gym - a place that seemed so much bigger back then. The student council did a great job with the assembly and the drama group closed it off with an entertaining and funny skit. For a moment, I felt like I was in highschool all over again and it was only fitting that my highschool sweetheart was sitting right next to me. I wanted to run up on the stage and start shouting, "N-O-TRE, D.A.M.E...lets go"! I was happy to see that ND still has the same energy and school spirit that it had when I was here. The second half of the open house was spent roaming around the Main and the O'Connor buildings and visiting each classroom. To my surprise many of my old teachers still remain as well as a classmate who is now a math teacher there. As we walked around the 68 year old building, I heard Hazel mumble, "I like this school". She was completely sold. Although I am sad that this sweet, little girl has grown up, I am also excited for this next chapter in her life that is the sisterhood of Notre Dame.

p.s. Thank goodness the arcade is no longer there. Whew!

No comments: