1.19.2008

Chicken 3 Ways

I must say I am really enjoying my cooking classes. It's one thing to watch Barefoot Contessa and Giada but it's even better taking courses because you can actually feel, smell and taste the food. Immediate gratification. Today we were taught to make shredded chicken with celery, lemon chicken and chicken corn soup. Although the recipes are easy enough to follow, there are tricks to the trade that our teacher often shares with us that you won't be able to find in a book. For example, today she made us each de-bone a whole chicken. She could have easily bought chicken breast for everyone (as per the recipes) but she thought it was a 'good to know' exercise for us...and that it was. The one thing I enjoy at school is being able to cook on high heat (as you should with Cantonese cooking), use cooking wine (flame and all) and not be at all concerned with all the smoke I am creating. Here at the condo the smoke will definitely trigger the building alarm followed by the sound of the fire trucks. It hasn't happened to me (yet) but ask my sister about her experience.

No comments: