12.27.2008
Okra Grill
A visit to the Charleston would not be complete without a visit to Okra Grill. It's a small, simple restaurant without any frills but people flock here because of the good old southern food they have to offer. We all ordered separate dishes but as usual we changed it to family style and traded and tasted each other's food. Hush puppies (deep fried corn meal) are my favourite and I was glad these did not disappoint. Okra is also a must (hence the name of the resto) so you can have it deep fried and coated with a light batter or simmered in a tomato sauce. Collard greens are also a southern staple and is usually cooked in butter. Norm and I shared a seafood dish that had shrimp, fish and crab cakes but I was quick to try my Aunt's sweet, butter deep fried chicken and Ann's country, fried steak smothered with gravy. As you can see, it's a restaurant that one should not frequent often but it's definitely a winner if you are craving good old, southern cooking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment