We managed to escape the winter wonderland and ventured south for Christmas. It's been awhile since I've been home so I've forgotten the traditions that take place during this time of year. Misa de Gallo was always something I attended when I was little. I'm not sure what misa de gallo means but basically we gather together a couple of times before Christmas to pray and sing carols. I guess it's also a social event but it's nice because it reminds us what Christmas should be about. On Christmas Eve we attended midnight mass, something we had not done in years but realize now how important it is. Our family took up a whole row so as you can probably guess peace be with you was a little complicated. Here in the south when you say the Our Father, everyone holds hands - even strangers. After mass we got home and had our midnight Christmas dinner which consisted of sushi and sashimi, chicken rice soup (arroz caldo), chicken salad and salmon with caper dips with pita, eggrolls and fruit. It was supposed to be a light snack but we ate way too much and konked out by 4 am but still managed to wake up at 10:30 to prepare for Christmas dinner. But first things first - a visit to see Auntie, Grandma and Grandpa were mandatory, especially at Christmas. It was while I was standing there looking at their stones that I realized just how much I missed them, again especially at Christmas. As soon as we got back, I went straight to work. I must say, the seafood casserole turned our amazing and it was a huge hit (thanks Dancing Queen). For dinner we had turkey, ham and roast beef with all the fixins' and for dessert, my almost famous apple pie. It was a perfect southern Christmas. Oh, and did i mention that it was 32 degrees celsius today?
Merry Christmas to all.
And to all a good night.

No comments:
Post a Comment