12.06.2009

Photography 101

So you know how much I love my new Nikon D90 but I know I was only using 20% of what it can actually do. Yesterday I attended a photography class at Vistek that was specific to Nikon users. It was great! I've always hated using flash but as a result I would get blurry pictures. Here he taught me how to manipulate my ISO and exposure to eliminate the need for flash. The only time we should really use flash is when the sun is directly on top of the subject. Who would have thunk? The fill flash that you mount on top of your camera works better as it is not as close to the lens and you can turn the flash sideways for indirect lighting. I also learned about how to manipulate my metering mode depending on what shot I'm taking (matrix works best 90% of the time). We also touched on how to use our Focus settings: single area, dynamic and 3D tracking. Dynamic is his preference because you tell your camera what to focus on versus the single area which focuses on a spot/major subject in your viewfinder. Anyway, it was a very informative class and am looking forward to trying out my new skills. Is anyone willing to be my photoshoot models? Perhaps someone getting married next year that rhymes with Trancis and Fracy?

4 comments:

sally said...

cool, can you just teach me what you learned? hope you took some notes!! :P

bgoteh said...

I COULD BE ONE YOUR MODEL BUT YOU COULD ONLY TAKE MY PICTURES ON CHRISTMAS EVE AND IT WILL BE ON MY PLACE.

bgoteh said...

it will at my place on christmas eve if you want me to model for you

melandnorm said...

How about this Big Dog: you guys can tag along and I will take pictures of you in South Carolina near the palmetto trees!